Saturday, September 11

The Way We Move

I've got my eye on things.


I've learned in school that video is the new language. I'm currently in a class that revolves around journalistic short-form production and I'll soon be learning the tricks and subtleties of visual story telling. San Francisco is an incredible place filled with unbelievable characters. I've recently decided to share my remaining time out here with you, the viewer. Though I'll continue to think and write about my findings, you can expect to see more videos of the interesting things that I encounter out here on the left coast.

The most interesting thing I found today was some kind of Asian cultural festival in the Inner Sunset district of San Francisco. It was amazing how selflessly these children danced, so unconcerned about capturing the spotlight. I walked away thinking about how endemic this was to Eastern cultures, and how different we Westerners define ideas of self, community, social role, and purpose. Around the world It's easy to see that children love to dance, though I wonder what the differences and similarities are in their thinking as they move with the music.

I watched these kids dance and suddenly recalled the beautiful and perfectly synchronized dance performed at the opening ceremonies for the Olympics in Beijing. Perhaps cooperative dance is as familiar to children in Eastern cultures as a game of "Tag" is to Western kids.


1 comment:

Arianna said...

I totally agree, though I think that the instinct of children to dance in a selflessly way is the same in every part of the world. However at some point (very soon) the culture influences how they approach the dance. It is really interesting to see how cultures represent themselves through dance. If I think to the Afro-Djemb√© that I used to dance for a while, I think to a dance where the idea of community, the contact with your body and with Mother Earth (you dance barefoot) are very strong. Every dance tells a story, every dance’s step is a word (this happens also with the Hula dance). Western Countries (or at least Italy) are losing the contact with their traditional dances and are more focused on dances with “recreational purposes”. Anyway even if I think to our traditional dances, I can say that the “spiritual components” are not represented. The dance has been more a way used by the “Self” for socializing. I think that, in some way, this is a representation of how the Western culture is focused on the individual events and the role that the person has in these events. In the Eastern dances you can see the systemic approach. Every time I attend to a “eastern dance” exhibition I have the feeling that something very spiritual is happening there. The human being is represented as part of the Universe and people are fundamentally connected.